Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

How Procrastion Makes Me Productive (sort of)

I'm sure that everyone can relate to this, but it's funny to me that I am most productive when I procrastinate. Let me explain; for that past four months I have known that I needed to get on fundraising for Bike and Build if I wanted to raise enough money to participate, but I have been mostly putting it off until recently because asking people for money makes me really uncomfortable. As the summer has drawn nearer, I have become more and more anxious about fundraising, and have become more and more productive in all other facets of my life. For example, where I would normally wait to do my laundry until I'm out of clean clothes and wait to do assignments until the day before they're due, when I would become anxious about Bike and Build fundraising I would rationalize putting it off further by doing these other things that were suddenly of the utmost importance.

As the end of the semester has drawn closer, and I have started to realize how little time I have to complete my honors thesis before my oral defense on April 16th, I have become more and more anxious about the amount of work I have left to do in such a short amount of time. Because my honors thesis is my capstone in both of my majors as well as my writing intensive, both of which are Tulane requirements, I have to complete it to graduate in May. I even stayed at my house in New Orleans during spring break last week so that I could work on my thesis instead of going to the beach like most of my friends. Despite my self-imposed house arrest and increasing anxiety, I ended up getting almost nothing done on my thesis. I was instead extremely productive in preparing for Bike and Build, starting a blog, sending fundraising letters and emails, starting training, and even making a fundraising video, in what was almost as much of a diversion from my thesis as it was a necessary fundraising push for Bike and Build. Because I've done everything that I can rationalize at this point for fundraising in light of my thesis, and laundry no longer seems like a worthy diversion, I guess I need to stop blogging and start working. Just don't judge if you catch me at the library in swim trunks.

No comments:

Post a Comment